- 3 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon paprika or 2 teaspoons paprika plus 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 4 to 6 T-bone steaks, about 1 1/2 inches thick
Make the spice: In a grinder or mortar and pestle, grind all the seasonings and herbs until fine.
Rub steaks with the braai spice and set aside in refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours. Bring to room temperature before grilling.
Heat a grill until screaming hot. Place steaks on the grill and cook, turning every 2 minutes or so, until crusty outside and medium-rare inside, 120 to 125 degrees. Let rest 10 minutes and slice across the grain for serving.