2020 INFORMATION FOR FAMILIES:
URJ SUMMER PROGRAM FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
WHICH SUMMER PROGRAMS QUALIFY FOR SCHOLARSHIP ASSISTANCE?
- URJ summer programs: Camp Coleman, Six Points Sports Academy, Six Points Sci-Tech, Kutz Camp, Mitzvah Corps, NFTY in Israel
- Others: Camp Judaea, Ramah, Camp Barney Medintz, other Jewish community or organizational camps
WHAT ARE THE CURRENT SOURCES OF FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR SUMMER PROGRAMS?
- Financial assistance comes in two ways: scholarship (need based) and incentive grants (not need-based).
- Temple Sinai, Camp Coleman, Kutz Camp and Mitzvah Corps cooperatively offerscholarship
- The Jewish Federation of Sarasota-Manatee (jfedsrq.org) and One Happy Camper (ohc.org) offer camp incentive
- Camp Colemangives students consecrated at Temple Sinai a $200 gift certificate if they enroll in camp entering 3rdor 4th
- Historically, Camp Colemanwill match the scholarship award from the temple, up to $500 per camper. The amount granted by the temple cannot be guaranteed; it is dependent on available funds and the number of requests.
- Historically, Kutz Campwill match or exceed the scholarship award from the temple through their work/study program.
- Six Points Sports Academy does offer scholarship assistance, but you must apply to all other sources first. Their deadline is March 1, 2020.
- Six Points Sci-Tech also offers scholarship assistance, but you must apply to all other sources first. Their deadline is Feb. 15, 2020.
- For Israel programs, both the temple and Federation can offer financial assistance. NFTY gives students who became Bar/Bat Mitzvah at Temple Sinai a $250 credit towards an Israel trip.
- In today’s world it is not uncommon for grandparents or other family members to help out.
It is YOUR responsibility to do the legwork and explore all the funding possibilities available for each child BEFORE requesting scholarship from the temple. This information is required on the temple’s scholarship application.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR TEMPLE SCHOLARSHIP?
- Only youth applying to a URJ summer program are eligible. At this time we do not have scholarship funds available for youth attending non-URJ programs.
- Youth whose family is a temple member in good standing.
HOW DO WE APPLY?
- Go to jfedsrq.organd click on Get Help/Camp Grants to apply online for the incentive grant from Federation. First year campers are eligible for up to $800 and returning campers for lesser amounts. FYI: Federation gives preference to Federation donors so we encourage you to make at least a minimum donation of $18 before submitting your application.
- Go to OneHappyCamper.orgto apply online for up to $1000 available to first year campers.
- Temple scholarship applications are available in the school office or on the temple website.
WHAT ARE THE DEADLINES TO APPLY?
- NFTY in Israel Early Bird deadline is January 3, 2020 (a $400 savings).
- Temple deadline:January 31, 2020*
- Federation deadline: January 31, 2020
- One Happy Camper does not have a deadline.
*Any applications received after this date will not receive full consideration. The scholarship committee will meet and announce allocations by the end of February. Funds will be paid directly to the office of your child’s camp or program.ScholarshipApplication2020